Top Tips for Parents and Carers
1. Become a net-savvy parent
The best safeguard against online dangers is being informed. Jump in and learn the basics of the Internet—read articles, and talk to other parents. You don’t have to be an expert to have a handle on your child’s online world.
2. "Chat" with your children: Develop an open dialogue so that you can talk with your children about the benefits and dangers of the Internet. Cultivate an interest in their online activities—their favourite Web sites, online games, and interests. And don’t be afraid to ask your children who they are talking to online and what they are talking about.
3. Agree on a contract: Make a formal agreement on your family’s guidelines for using the Internet. Post them near the family computer as a reminder. Ensure that your children know never to share personal information on the Internet and that they should tell you about any online activity or contact that makes them uncomfortable.
4. Protect your computer: Take advantage of the software that exists to help parents manage their child’s computer experience. In only a few minutes, parental control software can block inappropriate websites, restrict the amount of time that your children use the Internet and monitor their Instant Messenger chats to protect against predators.
5. Think about the other devices your child is using: Children can access the internet from a growing number of devices these days including their phone, game console and ipod. Ensure that these devices have the correct parental controls set on them.
6. Explore the Internet as a family: With a family contract and protected computer devices, you can now encourage your family to take advantage of all that the Internet has to offer. Take a genuine interest in what your children are doing and stay engaged with them online. Keep the computer in a room used by all the family.
7. As a family, know the basic safety rules.
St Mary's Church of England VA Primary Academy
8:45am - 4pm
You can also use our contact form
Use the translator if English is not your first language.
Click on the link to find out if the school is closed due to bad weather.